APPLICATION TO FOSTER A DOG
If you want to take care of a pet at home, while we are looking for a permanent home, you can collaborate as a foster home. Foster homes are a fundamental pillar for our association since they can help those who require special attention that we can not offer them in our facilities.
They are usually puppies, small dogs, convalescent dogs, elderly dogs, or dogs that need therapy to overcome their fears or anxieties, although sometimes we need a temporary space for a dog in the event of saturation in the shelter.
The association is always in contact with you
Foster homes always have a direct contact person at APAD who will help them to resolve any doubts that may arise about the dog, so no experience is necessary.
The association will cover all the veterinary and food expenses of the animal and will provide you with everything you may need to take care of it, except in the case that the host decides to assume part or all of it voluntarily.
Characteristics and Needs of the Dogs that need fostering
- Puppies that need bottle feeding: They are dogs less than one month old. They need to have a bottle every three hours. In order to accommodate a dog so small you need to have more available hours. They will not be vaccinated yet, and therefore, they can not go out into the street, that is, they will pee and poop in the house, and you will not be able to bathe them.
- Puppies: Keep in mind that these are usually very active dogs, they can break some things, they are learning and you will need to teach them certain things like peeing and pooping on the street, not destroying things, etc. If they still do not have the complete vaccination they will not be able to go out on the street and you will not be able to bathe them.
- Seniors: The fostering period for elderly dogs is usually longer than others. Older dogs have a very bad time at the shelter, especially in the winter months. They are usually very quiet dogs, who enjoy lying on their bed close to the heating.
- Dogs with need for Behavioral Therapy: They are usually shy or fearful dogs.
- Sick or Convalescent: With some kind of curable disease, or with some type of wound that in the shelter is at risk of becoming infected and difficult to cure.
No doubt these dogs are the ones who need it most and without people like you, who give them an opportunity to “integrate” into a family life, their destiny would be very uncertain.
Whether in a house or apartment, with children and animals or without them, fostering facilitates the future adoption of these dogs that in other cases would never have had the opportunity to leave a cage and therefore, to live again.
Thank you for your collaboration!!
Foster application form
If you are interested in fostering a dog, please fill out the form below: (Please note: Our foster homes need to be in Denia or very close to Denia. Do not fill out the form if you live further away)